About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Abundance: So Near Yet So Far

Ministry has taken me to many locations where I have observed a variety of living conditions.  Two weeks of ministry in Cape Town, South Africa have caused me to reflect on some of what I have seen.

During years of living in Germany, several German friends gave testimony of the state of affairs before and after the Berlin wall came down in 1989.  Some of these friends were in Berlin at the time.  The freedom that came with the removal of that wall was more than a news report for people living on each side of the wall. It was a life changing event.  For so long, those on the eastern side of the wall had dreamed of a day when they would be able to once again see family and friends.  They had been so near, yet so far away.

Last year, as I traveled through Nigeria with friends, we drove past an enormous mansion protected by a high fence.  Everything else I had seen, including the immediate surroundings of the mansion, was evidence of poverty.  The people living next to the mansion were aware of the luxury, but it was not available to them.  They were so near, yet so far away.

Much of this year has been spent in France where the local beauty and the housing is well above many of the other countries I have visited.  Yet, many days I have passed by a woman who sits on the sidewalk in between a large bank and a nice shop.  She was huddled against the wall during the cold and her tin can in front of her was an indication that the abundance in the bank and the shop were not available to her.  She was so near, yet so far away.

This situation has seemed even more pronounced here in Cape Town.  In a beautiful natural setting, the very modern cosmopolitan city has pockets of severe poverty throughout.  The shanty towns, where thousands of people live,  are right next to the well maintained highways where luxury vehicles travel.  They are so near, yet so far away.

Many in their spiritual lives are in the same situation.  God's love promises the abundance of His everlasting love, the adoption into His royal family and a heavenly inheritance that lasts for eternity.  Unless one reaches out and receives Jesus' invitation to become a part of His family, they will never experience the abundance of the life that He has to give.  They are so near, yet so far away.

I have come that they might have life, and have it abundantly (John 10:10b NAS).

No comments:

Post a Comment