About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Forced Renovations

Recently, in between mission trips, my husband and I returned home to the U.S. for a few weeks.  We had quite a surprise when we entered our home.  Even though we had turned off the water and drained the pipes, a long hard freeze while we were away resulted in so many water leaks in our home that we eventually lost count.  Not only did the plumbing need fixing, but there was dry wall repair needed throughout the house. As a result of the repairs, we had a forced renovation to two bathrooms.  That was not exactly how we had planned to spend those two weeks.

My husband kept reminding me that we had not lost anything. Everything was repairable.  With the recent tornados and floods in the U.S., I knew he was right.  I should count my blessings and pray for those who had lost everything.

When the unexpected happens, I often look to see if there is a spiritual application.  Is it possible that sometimes we need a forced renovation in our spiritual lives?  Could it be that God sometimes finds it necessary to allow a "freeze" in our lives so that He can fix the leaks and repair the walls? Can it be that our old natures leak through, obscuring the new nature we have in Christ? If so, what is the cost of the repair?  It takes work to maintain a house.  It takes work to maintain the right spiritual attitude.  You know, I am just wondering. . .

The Apostle Paul made these statements as a Christian, an apostle, a church planter and a mentor.  Even he admitted that we need to fix the leaks and repair the walls in our Christian lives.

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. . . For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. . . O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God - through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit (Romans 7:14, 18,19, 24, 25 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment