About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Time, Trains and the Total Picture

The other day, I waited for a train, and waited, and waited some more.  Over an hour after arriving at the platform, the train finally showed up. Although during that time there had been occasional announcements over a loudspeaker, I couldn't understand them. I don't speak the local language.  A friend showed up a few minutes before the train came and said she heard there might be a strike on that day.  That would explain the delay, of course, but if she had not said something, I still wouldn't have any idea what had delayed the train.  The problem, of course, is not only do I not speak the language but I was missing other essential facts.  I didn't have the big picture.

Only God has all the facts.  In His wisdom, He knows what has led me to a point in my life and He knows where I am going.  He also knows what is going on with those around me and how their lives intersect with mine.  He may try to give me clues along the way (like the public announcements on the platform), but He knows I will understand only so much.  Mainly, what He asks is that I trust Him to do what is right because He does have the big picture.

I am confident of God's love.  I love Him and I know He loves me.  The more I discover about Him, the more trustworthy I know He is.  As much as He loves me, though, I am aware that, this side of Heaven, I am only going to understand so much.  I don't totally understand His language or His ways.  His perspective is based on His unlimited knowledge and His eternal plan.

The Weaver, a poem attributed to Benjamin Malachi Franklin (1882-1965), starts this way:

"My life is but a weaving between my Lord and me, I cannot choose the colors He worketh steadily.
Oft times He weaveth sorrow, and I in foolish pride forget He sees the upper but I the under side."

God does have all the information He needs to lead me where He needs me to go.  Sometimes that involves a waiting period I don't understand, but I don't have to understand it all.  My choice is to trust the one who does.

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9).

No comments:

Post a Comment