About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Things and People

I have heard of families squabbling over possessions when a family member died. Perhaps family members are upset when there is a large estate or much property to deal with and their expectations of inheriting something are dashed. It always makes me sad to hear of those cases and wonder what the deceased loved one would think if they heard the dispute.

Thankfully, that has not been the case when my parents or my husband's parents passed away. The estates were small and there were not many things of monetary value but we each wanted some mementos of their lives.

When my husband's grandmother died, I got a set of her dishes - incomplete, but I was thrilled to have them -  and her button collection. When my own grandmother died, my father gave me a platter and serving bowl that matched the set I had received from my husband's grandmother.

When my dad died, my sister (actually my stepsister but we claimed each other as sisters) and I had no issues at all. She wanted the photo albums and a few items of her mother's. I wanted some things that actually belonged to her side of the family if she didn't want them. She graciously let me have the hand crocheted bedspreads that her grandmother made and the few pieces of silverware that did not go with her set. I have my father's typewriter and some other memorabilia. All these things remind me of the times I saw each of them use the items I have.

When my father-in-law died, his four sons were very thoughtful. They were hesitant to speak up about something they might treasure for fear that someone else might want it. In the end, though, I think everyone came away with the reminders of Mom and Pop they most wanted.

The important thing was that some of these belongings stayed in the family. At the estate sale, I especially hated the thought of my husband's grandmother's cedar wardrobe being sold, especially after learning that it had been given to her on her wedding day in 1920. Having no place for it in my home, I still wanted to take it if no one else would. I was thrilled when my brother-in-law said he wanted it. I think his grandmother would be pleased.

Each of the items that were brought home from our parents' house was not worth much to anyone except us. It was the reminder of time spent with a loved one or their contribution to our lives that gave the item such value.

I often look about and think of how I enjoy the good gifts of life. This includes so many things: sunrise and sunset, moon and the stars, a butterfly, the hummingbirds, a piece of furniture that is well made because God gave someone that creative gift, a painting done by a friend, the things my husband has purchased for me that have made my life easier, gifts from my children and grandchildren that make my smile when I use them (like personalized aprons!) and many more.

Every gift ultimately comes from God. The things He gives contribute to our enjoyment of life, but they are mere representatives of His presence. I am well aware that I am not taking anything with me when I meet Him at the end of my life. The pleasure they bring me today is a reminder of Him - the Creator and Gift Giver of all.

O Lord, how many are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all; the earth is full of Your possessions (Psalm 104:24 NAS). Command those who are rich in this world's goods not to be haughty or to set their hope on riches, but on God who richly provides us with all things for our enjoyment (1 Timothy 6:17 NET).

No comments:

Post a Comment