About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Really Seeing the World Around You

I subscribe to a writer's magazine and follow several blogposts submitted by their staff. The motivational tips on writing, information on the latest developments in the publishing industry, what kind of writing is currently attractive to readers, etc. give me much needed facts in an ever changing world. There is practically no way to keep up on all the pertinent information without help. 

Theirs is not the only source I consult. I purchase books on writing, read what others write - both fiction and nonfiction - and notice blogs where successful published authors share their secrets and hints at sticking with their writing, no matter what. Some authors share how they conquer writer's block. Others give helpful knowledge about grammar, word usage, punctuation and formatting.

Recently I read a guest post by Kevin Kaiser on Writer's Digest entitled "What Bestselling Writers Do Differently Than Everyone Else." Of the four points that he made, it was the first one that caught my attention. Kevin said, "They are intent on seeing the world. Most of humanity hurries through the day in a fog, looking only where they need to in order to survive...But prolific and successful artists are students of the world around them. They pay attention because stories worth capturing are happening all the time right next to them. They just see it where others don't. Eyes that look are common, eyes that see are rare."

Kevin's definition of an artist is "anyone who creates something that enriches the lives of others, whether that’s leading a vibrant organization, writing a book or singing a song."

I think Kevin has captured the essence of a rich life - no matter what your occupation is. I also recently heard an extraordinary speech given to military cadets. The speaker showed pictures of men and women he had worked with - some who had given their lives for our country. Along with the pictures, he told their stories. His speech was so moving and inspiring because he actually saw the men and women who served under him. He paid attention to them. Kevin said, "eyes that see are rare." This man's eyes were definitely in that category. Anyone serving in his unit would know that he was not just a number or part of a unit, but that he had value. 

At one point, Jesus' disciples asked Him why He talked to the people in parables. In His reply to them, He said that He spoke in parables because "while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand." Kevin Kaiser may not have realized his observation "most of humanity hurries through the day in a fog" had spiritual implications, but it does. He was right. "Eyes that look are common, eyes that see are rare."

But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear (Matthew 13:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment