About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Therapeutic Writing


I enjoy writing. My self-imposed schedule of once a week articles, once a month devotionals, frequently updated Bible studies and always working on a book keeps my mind occupied. If and when adverse circumstances come along, I have discovered that because I have a writing schedule, I can keep thinking positively instead. Not all stress is bad. The tension that comes from having to write something at least once a week is a good thing. 

As a result of this writing schedule, I view things a little differently than before. Even something trivial - a stepping stone, sunrise, walking through the woods or poison ivy (not so trivial when you have a reaction to it!) or something more substantive like working with my husband on a project or becoming interested in Chinese New Year because I now have a granddaughter adopted from China - all these are potential subjects for articles.
I created a blog in order to interact with others, but the benefits I have received from being faithful in writing it have far exceeded even the potential of what it might do for anyone else. My blog is titled One Focus. It has done just that. It has kept my mind focused on what is really important.

The fact that I am constantly thinking about something to write has saved me from other distracting thoughts. Each of us experiences self-talk - talking to ourselves in our minds. What dominates our thoughts eventually comes out in our actions. Choosing to think constructive thoughts will prevent the negative thoughts from crowding in.  Or so it has for me.

The beauty of writing a blog is that you can do it from practically anywhere. I travel a great deal, but my laptop is always with me. If I have an idea, I can start on a post even when the internet is not available. In fact, I seldom sit down and post in one sitting. I need to mull it over to make sure I am communicating what I really want to say.

I have come rather late to writing, blogging and maintaining a website. There is always something new to learn about putting your thoughts “out there on the web.” It is a wonderful medium, however, when used to help others.

Whether you share your thoughts with others or keep them to yourself, your thoughts define who you are. You are not the only one engaged in the conversation that goes on in your mind - God is as well.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect...Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things... for the righteous God tries the hearts and minds (Romans 12:2, Philippians 4:8, Psalm 7:9 NAS).



No comments:

Post a Comment