About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Background Software

Like practically everyone else, my life seems to be contained in my computer. I use it for work, for reading, for socializing, for writing, for shopping - you name it. I have stopped using my heavy dictionaries or encyclopedias. If I need to know something, I can search for it online.

I write a lot of Bible studies and often have a scripture in mind that I want to refer to. The problem is I can't remember exactly where the scripture is located in the Bible - the chapter and verse. I used to use my concordance exclusively for this purpose. Now I often "goggle" the verse.

Tied very closely to my use of information on the internet are the software programs on my laptop. Some programs I have chosen to install. Many of them are just necessary for the operation of my computer. What I am able to accomplish by using my computer are tied to software programs that run in the background. Being technologically challenged, these run in ways that are mysterious to me.

Even when I am unable to log on to the internet, my software programs enable me to keep working. Since I carry my laptop with me practically everywhere, I often even record reminder notes on my computer rather than using pad and pencil. The time saving possibilities are endless.

Since using my computer has become such a normal part of my life, I often forget the background software is there. I just take advantage of it and its functionality.

God created our brains to hold all the data we could possibly use. We load them with all kinds of information - some good, some bad. That "background software" can be useful or harmful, depending on how it is accessed.

Unlike computer software, data stored in our minds cannot be uninstalled. It can surface at any time. Satan can use the information for evil. God can remind us of something for usefulness. It is even possible to forget that we input something that will later be harmful or useful, so good judgment is called for when acquiring any new information.

Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You... Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a just man, and he will increase in learning... Wise people store up knowledge...For as he thinks in his heart, so is he...  (Psalm 119:11, Proverbs 9:9, 10:14, 23:7). 





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete