About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Some of The Richest People I Know Don't Have Any Money


Since I have the privilege of teaching Bible internationally, my friendship circles are as big as the globe. I have been incredibly enriched by getting to know so many people from a variety of different backgrounds and cultures.  I have been exposed to them in their churches and their homes and have been the recipient of their amazing hospitality.

Some of the richest people I know don’t have any money. “Poor me” is not in their vocabulary. In spite of extremely limited material resources, they do not feel deprived. They share what they have - many times giving the best of what they have to their guests. 

Their joy does not come in the possession of things, but in the contentment of a life that is counting for something far greater than anything material. They love God. They love life. They love people.

Like Jesus, who had nowhere to lay his head, they understand all the resources of heaven are at their disposal. Their measurements of riches, however, are not monetary. 

They are rich in:
  • loyalty, love and laughter
  • honor, hope and humility
  • generosity, grace and genuineness
  • patience, peace and purity
  • justice and joy
  • faith
Some of the richest people I know don't have any money. They have Jesus.

Paul: A Man Rich in Faith


My friends remind of the apostle Paul who discovered that the richness of faith outweighed the riches of the world. He was a man with many advantages in his life.  For a long time, he persecuted followers of Christ because he did not understand who Jesus was.  When he finally met Jesus and accepted His offer of salvation, he made an about face and never looked back.

Paul gave up the advantages of status and worldly riches when he became a disciple of Christ. What he gained was greater than what he lost.

But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ (Philippians 3:7-8). 

Paul’s heart and his mind, given to God, enabled him to be content no matter what his circumstances.

I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:12-13).


No comments:

Post a Comment