About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Preparation, Hope and Predicting the Future

None of us can predict the future.  Or can we?

Like the rest of my country, I watched and prayed this week as Hurricane Irene made her way along the eastern coast of the United States.  Weather experts noted the historic nature of this storm and the impact it could have and eventually did have on those in her path.

Even those of us who were not directly affected by her knew she caused havoc all over the nation by interrupting air travel.  Eventually, I believe this will bring about yet again higher prices for airline travel - which will directly impact me.

There will be a ripple effect on the entire nation because of this storm - just as there has been a ripple effect from the dismal economic crisis.

I heard the phrase, "Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best," several times during this week.  The advice was directed toward those who would potentially be in the path of Irene's fury.  With all the technology available to the experts, their best predictions were still an educated guess. Some of them, when questioned about what would happen, said, "Give me 24 hours, then I can tell you."

There were, sadly, many who lost loved ones and property because of this storm.  The losses would have been greater still, though, had people not heeded the advice to prepare, evacuate or stay in during the storm. The capabilities of prediction today are so much greater than they were in times past that saving lives and protecting property is more possible than it used to be.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best could also be applied to the economic situation.  Experts in every financial field have been asked to make predictions about unemployment figures, home foreclosures, hopes for reviving retail figures, the stock market, the value of the dollar and everything else related to the crisis. Expert opinions run from dismally pessimistic to cautiously optimistic.

However, no one really knows for sure.  We must prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.

We cannot live effectively with blinders on.  We must be aware of the big picture.  At any given moment, circumstances beyond our control can change our lives. Prepare and hope is good advice.

As a Christian, I believe that I can prepare for the best and hope for the best.  The best in this life and in the next is knowing the love of Jesus. My hope is in Christ, my Savior. That hope is not a "hope so," but a solid expectation that what He has promised will come true.

Preparing for the best, to me, involves being ready to greet Him either when I meet Him in my death or when He comes to receive His own.  In that sense, I can predict the future.  I know without a doubt the best is yet to come.

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:37-39 NIV).




No comments:

Post a Comment