About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Anticipation and Excitement of Being Face to Face with Loved Ones

When it comes to a reunion with a loved one, I'm like a child. Not only do I prepare for the visit - cleaning house, making beds, preparing meals -  but there's something about the moment of greeting that brings joy to my heart. I get excited.

When my family drives in for a visit, I  go to the window or the door constantly looking for them. I am seldom in the house when they arrive.  I am usually waiting for them on the back porch.  By the time they turn off the ignition in the car, I am by their side.

My husband and I work together, travel together and play together. When he does go out by himself, I find myself listening for the car to come down the driveway or for the door of our house to open.  I am often upstairs, but head downstairs to greet him at the door. I want him to know I missed him.

We travel frequently and for the last few months have been living in a third story apartment in France. The kitchen window overlooks the entry way. Recently, anticipating the visit of a dear friend, I was able to greet her as she arrived - from the window!

If I am meeting family or friends at the airport, I look through the crowd until I see their faces. It is not hard for me to recognize them.  I know them. They know me. They are like me. They are part of my family, either my immediate family or my spiritual family.

The same is true when a loved one leaves.  I watch them until I can't see them any longer. I often feel like a part of me is leaving with them because we are family.

I can identify with the apostles who stood gazing into heaven as Jesus was taken up. They couldn't take their eyes off of the clouds just in case they could catch one more glimpse of Him.

The sense of joyful anticipation I feel when greeting loved ones, I believe, is a small preview to what it will be like for me to see Jesus face to face.  I want to be ready to greet Him.  I cannot wait to see Him. I know I will recognize Him because I know Him and He knows me.

As eager as I am to see Him, I believe He is also looking for me much like I watch for the arrival of my loved ones. I get excited just thinking about it.

But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is (1 John 3:2b).

No comments:

Post a Comment