About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Home: Here and Heaven


I have a passport issued by the United States of America and my husband and I have a house there. However, for most of each year, we travel overseas on mission assignments. He jokingly says we live in the airport. 

Our home is wherever we are. We really just leave our belongings behind in a house that we call home, but that house does have our mark on it. We set up housekeeping temporarily in different locations around the world, some longer than others. No matter how long we plant ourselves in any one spot, however, we are still essentially living out of a suitcase. 

If we are fortunate enough to be in a place where we come and go for a period of time and have a small kitchen to be able to cook in, I often go to the refrigerator or the cabinet searching for some item that is not there.  It is actually in my home in the states.

As happy as I am to do what we do, occasionally I get homesick – for the familiar security of the surroundings we call home.  There is a sense of renewal and refreshment when I walk into the doors of our home: a sense of belonging. There, I am joined again not only with our stuff, but our memories. 

Along with you, my heart has broken for those who have lost their homes to earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, and tornadoes this year. Many whose families survived the tragedies commented on what remained was what was really important.  If all the family members were without injury, they counted their blessings and did what was necessary to start over. 

I have tried to imagine what it was like for Jesus while He was here.  How hard it must have been for Him to be away from the security of heaven.  Although He is the creator and owner of everything on earth, He was treated like a stranger.  He left his Father and the comforts of his home to live among many who didn’t understand his language.  When He spoke about his home, He was often misunderstood. Eventually, of course, He was crucified because of his description of his relationship to the Father and his rightful place in heaven.  His sacrifices were many.  Among them was the temporary condition where He identified with those who had no home. He literally had no place to lay His head.

The more I travel and meet Christian brothers and sisters all over the world, the more I contemplate my eternal citizenship.  Some places we return to again and again.  Some places we have a single temporary assignment.  Each time I am introduced to more of my Christian family, when we leave, I do not say “good bye,” but “I will see you again,” as we will spend eternity together. 

Among the things I would like to say "thank you" to Jesus for was His willingness to leave His home for a time so that those who of us who believe in Him could be home with Him forever. Heaven will be home because that is where Jesus is.

In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also (John 14:2-3).

No comments:

Post a Comment