About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Bait and Camouflage

I am not a deer hunter, but my husband is. Since I like venison, that's a good thing. Occasionally I sit with him in the deer blind. I enjoy watching the sun come up and keeping an eye out for deer. In the process, I have learned some things about how hunters prepare for the hunt.

Before hunting season starts, my husband puts deer corn in a feeder where it can easily be seen from the blind. A timer on the feeder releases the corn. Hopefully the deer will become accustomed to coming to the feeder at a time when we are sitting in the deer blind.

Deer are very skittish - running away at the slightest noise, unusual sight or human smell. Before heading for the deer blind, we spray our clothing with scent killer. We must get in the blind before the light of day so they will not see us coming. We must also be very quiet - speaking only in whispers if at all. The deer blind, our clothing and equipment are designed to blend in with the surroundings - most of it is camouflaged.

Hunting season only lasts a few weeks each year, but many deer hunters plan all year long for how best to use that time. It takes a lot of preparation and patience, but after deer appear and are shot, field dressed and processed for the freezer, there is a supply of venison -  possibly enough to last until next deer season.

When it comes to my spiritual life, I find myself in the position of the deer. I need to be as watchful as they are. God warns us to be aware of the bait Satan uses to distract us and describes how he can camouflage himself. Satan patiently plans for our downfall while blending in with our everyday surroundings - even in the church.

Ever since Adam and Eve were created, Satan has been actively deceiving men and women through bait and camouflage. Thankfully, we know the end of the story. There will be a day when his influence will end. His hunting season will be permanently over. I'm looking forward to that day.

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8). For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:13-14). 




No comments:

Post a Comment