About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Look on the Bright Side



Like so many other people, I enjoy watching The Wizard of Oz. It is one of my favorite movies. There have only been a few child actors with as much talent as Judy Garland, who played Dorothy. Over the Rainbow became her signature song, but sadly she did not leave her clouds far behind her "where troubles melt like lemon drops." She went on to have an incredibly successful career, but all of her talent, fame and money didn't bring her happiness. Instead of believing “behind every cloud there is a silver lining” Judy said that “behind every cloud is another cloud.” Judy was obviously someone who thought the glass was half empty instead of half full as well.

If you can leave the clouds behind you, it makes a difference. If you fly, you know that from an airplane, you can view the most beautiful sunshine on top of a solid cloud layer. You are seeing the world from above. Before you broke through the clouds, the day may have been as dark and gloomy as any you had ever known. Although the sun was obscured for a time underneath the clouds, it was always there. The difference you feel when the sun finally peeks through the clouds and brings warmth and light is nearly tangible.

Of course, it all depends on your perspective. Dark days of depression are often lifted even when the clouds are still there and the sky is grey. Your circumstances may have even gone from bad to worse. What changed? Do grey days take the sun away or do they just tempt you to forget it is there?

God is everywhere at the same time, above and below the clouds of life. If we could see things from His perspective, it would make all the difference. He is good all the time even when circumstances seem to tell you otherwise. He has a plan and it is good. The bright side of life is there. It is found in Jesus.

Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. (Psalm 106:1).

It is good to give thanks to the Lord and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night...I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands (Psalm 92:1-4).

For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11 NAS).

No comments:

Post a Comment