About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Physical and Spiritual Hearing Loss

Flying is in my family's blood. My husband's father was a pilot. My husband is a pilot. My sons are pilots. The joys of that profession or sport has a price, though, and that is hearing loss.

Ear protection was non existent during my father-in-law's day. He flew and instructed students by shouting over the airplane engine. My husband did the same. Later, small foam earplugs cushioned some of the noise, but could not and cannot prevent all damage. Headsets do a much better job of protection now, but constant exposure to airplanes ultimately damages one's hearing.

Consequently, my husband has suffered considerable hearing loss. It happened over many years and actually snuck up on him. As his personality leans toward enjoying quiet anyway (to him, silence is truly golden), it took him a long time to notice he could not hear certain things. It was slow and gradual, but now it is undeniable. And even though he still enjoys silence, not being able to hear in many situations is a disadvantage.

Hearing loss is not the only thing that can creep up on us. We tend to ignore those little warning signals God sends us about areas of our lives that are not pleasing to Him. Each time we do, it becomes easier the next time and before we realize it, we have allowed a temptation to sin to grow into sin itself.

Jesus, when confronted with temptation, had a ready response for the devil - the word of God. He did not ponder on the temptation. His response was immediate.

It is the responsibility of my husband and sons to use ear protection when they fly, but they do it because they know its value and have developed that habit.

God promises protection, but we have to avail ourselves of it.  It takes constant vigilance to realize we are in danger of losing our spiritual hearing - developing ears that cannot hear God's nudging.

But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear (Matthew 13:16). No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it (1 Corinthians 10:13). Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You (Psalm 119:11 NAS).







No comments:

Post a Comment