About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Marriage Partnerships

I am one of those lucky wives. My husband is the original handyman.  He can fix just about anything and with a little self-education, he can build most anything he needs. Over the years he has saved us countless dollars because he is a do-it-yourselfer.

We have a pretty good arrangement. I do what I can do. He does everything else - which is by far the larger part. When he asks for my help on a project, I know it is not because he needs me. In fact, he says, "Just do your best and don't worry about it if you mess up a little." Actually, I mess up a lot but I am happy to work alongside him. I may not be much of a help, but I am very touched that he wants me to be there with him. The fact that he enjoys my company means more than anything.

I often think if I go first, he will have very little adjustment. If he goes first - well, not only will I miss him terribly - but I will have to hire plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, call for outside tech support and much, much more. As I said, I am one of the lucky ones.

My husband is also a great gift giver. He often surprises me with something I never expected. He does things for me and gives things to me not because he has to. He wants to. Some things he does for me are fairly easy for him, like helping me with the dishes. Other things may require a sacrifice on his part. He may purchase something for me that prevents him from having something he wanted. In each case, whether easy or sacrificial, what he does is an expression of love.

Our marriage is a partnership - albeit a little lopsided.

Jesus relates to His followers in a variety of ways. As our Savior, He redeems us. As the Bread of Life, He supplies our needs. As the Light of the World, He brings us out of darkness. As our Shepherd, He guides us. As our Rock, He gives us strength. As our Foundation, He gives us stability. As our Advocate, He intercedes on our behalf. As the Truth, He brings integrity and clarity to life. As the Word of God, He speaks to us. As the True Vine, He gives us the ability to bear fruit.

One of the incredible revelations about our relationship with Jesus is that He relates to us as our bridegroom. He calls the redeemed His bride. He is planning an incredible wedding feast for us - the likes of which cannot even be imagined.

Jesus asks for our participation in His work - not because He needs it, but because He wants it. I sometimes think I hear Him saying, "Just do your best. Don't worry. I'll take care of the results."

He is the ultimate gift giver. Many gifts that He gives are easy for Him. Others cost him the ultimate sacrifice. In every case, what He does is an expression of the love of a bridegroom for His bride.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word..."Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready." And it was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints (Ephesians 5:25-26,  Revelation 19:7-8 NAS).

No comments:

Post a Comment