About Me

My photo
As I speak internationally to English speakers as well as through an interpreter, some of my greatest joys have been speaking to groups where participation from the audience is possible. Not only do I value the input of those in my conferences, but if they are actively involved (share testimonies, participate in prayer, read Scripture aloud), it is obvious that everyone is with me. I am interested in theological study, Christian writing, historical application of Biblical principles as well as writing as a craft and the current status of the publishing industry as a whole. As a result, I find myself following blogs of those whom I have learned to trust who contribute information in those fields. It occurred to me that blogs are the internet equivalent of audience participation in a conference setting. So, this blog is a result of that discovery. As much as possible (sometimes when I travel I do not have internet access), I will be making weekly posts of how everyday life is related to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word - maintaining one focus on that most important relationship. I would welcome your participation.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sidewalks, Foot Paths and Stepping Stones

Walking is my favorite exercise. The best thing about walking is that you can do it practically anywhere. As I frequently travel, the only exercise equipment I need is a pair of shoes that fit properly and are comfortable - as close to "made for me" as they can get. If I don't wear a good pair of walking shoes, I pay the price for it later.

Some places make walking easier than others. Many countries offer wonderful foot paths through the forest. These paths have often been cleared of trees and fallen debris. It is therefore possible to walk through the woods enjoying the scenery rather than having to watch the ground for areas where you might trip up.

Many European countries offer pedestrian commercial areas. Without having to watch out for vehicles, you can have a very pleasant experience walking while shopping, banking, dining, or any other business you need to take care of.

Sidewalks are also provided in many places for walkers. They are even separated from designated bike paths, so that if you stay on the walkway provided for pedestrians, you are in good shape. In areas where sidewalks are not provided or are not reliable, walkers have to pay much more attention to their path. That inhibits the joy of sight seeing as you walk.

Sometimes it is up to me to provide my own walking path. While working in an area on some land that had to be leveled because heavy rains had caused unevenness in the soil, I first placed stepping stones around the perimeter. That proved to be a very good decision as the stones were the only reliable walking area for some time.

Sidewalks, foot paths and stepping stones remind me that God has provided safe paths for us in life, if we will just take advantage of them. I know that I have a choice. I can stay on His path or I can deviate from it. Life is always much more pleasant when I stay on the path He established for me. It is when I get off His path that I am prone to trip up or make wrong decisions.

Just as I only need a good pair of walking shoes to make the most of the sidewalks, foot paths and stepping stones, the only thing I need for life is to truly trust God and let Him lead me down the path He has provided for me.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path... Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight  (Psalm 119:105, Proverbs 3:5-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment